Waste King – a specialist collections, clearance and recycling company that focuses on providing a service which is highly environmentally friendly – is moving its headquarters from the Frogmore Industrial Estate at Two Waters, Hemel Hempstead, to the Old Ministry Airfield, in Cheddington.
Waste King’s Operations Director, Andy Cattigan, explained: “For some time, Waste King has been experiencing a steady and continual increase in its customer base. With this has come an increase in business activity – which, among other things, has prompted the company increase its vehicle fleet to 12, including two new skip lorries.
“Monthly turnover continues to hit record levels and the company has grown from two employees, when it started in 2007, to its current size of 24 employees.
“Waste King’s continuing success means that it’s outgrown its Hemel Hempstead premises and, so, it’s time to move to a much bigger site,” he said.
Waste King’s new premises in Cheddington – comprising just under an acre – contain more office space for its administration, sales and customer service departments. The company also has more space for storing, sorting and, importantly, recycling – on-site – the waste it collects.
Waste King takes its environmental responsibilities extremely seriously and guarantees to recycle at least 95 per cent of any and every load of waste that it collects. In practice, that figure is usually nearer 97 per cent.
Waste King’s Managing Director, Glenn Currie, commented: “Moving to Cheddington also enables us to provide our services to an even wider geographical area – to Milton Keynes and further north as well as to our established area of Hertfordshire, London and throughout the south east of England.”
Located astride the counties of Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire and also known as the Airfield industrial Estate, Waste King’s new headquarters has quite a history – playing a significant part in World War II and in the early years of the Cold War.
It was a military airfield from 1917 to 1948 and, subsequently, a British Army base until 1952. It’s been known at different times as RFC Cheddington, RAF Cheddington, RAF Marsworth and even USAAF Station 113.
It’s also close to the site of the Great Train Robbery, which took place in 1963.